Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Diamonds and Diapers and Daycares!

Did I get your attention? Ok, so not really about the diamond part. Or the diaper part. But the daycare search has started!

Our AFS (the girl who did our home study) told us to use the weeks while we wait for approval to visit day cares so we have something lined up when the call comes. Last week, I started calling several places that accept CCMS (which basically means that they take... actually, I don't know what it means except that the state pays for the day care of the child). Of the five (that passed the research test that I put them through) that I called, four of them had no open CCMS slots. We still have set up tours with them because we feel like we would rather put the child in a place we really like and wait for a CCMS slot to open up rather than put them in an "okay" place.

Today was our first tour with a day care that is literally 2-3 blocks away from our house and the school where I work. We were both really nervous that once the place found out we were hopeful foster parents who asked about CCMS, we wouldn't be treated very nicely and kinda brushed aside. But this place didn't do that! They were super-friendly, have great security and even have the cameras where you can log on from your computer and watch what's going on. A water park, baby sign language, and great facilities...needless to say, I'm pretty sold on this place. But (there's always a but, isn't there?) it's on the pricey side, so we'll just have to wait and see what the other two are like. We have those tours set up for tomorrow.

At one point during the meeting with the director of the day care today, she suggested coming to curriculum nights the following week where we could visit with the teachers and learn about what the day looks like, as well as meet other parents. When she said that last line, believe me, I took notice. Whoa! Other parents? Like, myself included? We're considered parents?! It gave me this warm, fuzzy feeling at once, which then turned into a bundle of nerves. Aaaah! We're (hopefully) going to be responsible for another human being!

1 comment:

Drop me a line to let me know you stopped by!