Sunday, January 9, 2011

Winter's Here!

Keep Calm Shop
Well, at least for the week.  Or maybe just the first few days of the week.  Then we're back to highs in the 60s.  Last night, a cold front came through that sent the temperatures plummeting and brought with it a dreary, rainy day today.

So dreary and rainy that D and I actually slept in and missed going to church.  But we made a big breakfast, ate a late lunch, and started watching a movie to earn training hours toward our foster license.  (We both have to have 30 hours each year.)

When I started making my weekly menu this afternoon, the weather seriously affected the meals for the week.  (Do you make a weekly menu?  Since I started, I've saved so much on grocery bills because I only buy what I'm going to cook.  Which has definitely helped the IVF fund!)

Monday: Comfort meatballs and baked macaroni and cheese (Both Pioneer Woman recipes!)
Tuesday: Chicken Pot Pie (Another PW recipe)
Wednesday: Beans and cornbread
Thursday: Frozen Pizza night
Friday: Out to eat
Saturday: Chicken Fried Steak and Smashed Potatoes (the easiest mashed potatoes- courtesy PW)

Notice a trend?  Two words- comfort. food.  Yum!

Now in normal parts of the world where winter actually lasts the entire season, people are able to spread their comfort food over the course of three months.  Not in Texas!  We've got to make it and eat while the weather is cold!

What's your favorite comfort food?  I love making Puppy Chow (chocolate and peanut butter covered Chex cereal with powdered sugar all over) when the weather gets cold.  It's delicious!


1 comment:

  1. Grilled Cheese Sandwiches. Mac and Cheese. Scrambled eggs. Pizza. Yummmmy in my soul!

    ReplyDelete

Drop me a line to let me know you stopped by!