Thursday, April 7, 2011

stream of consciousness

Today marks one month since A came to live with us.  I can't believe how fast the time has flown by... or that I'll be going back to work on Monday.  Wow.  He surprises us every day; he says new words all the time!  Of course I have my favorites I like to hear- namely Mama and Daddy (Yes!  He's finally saying Daddy!), but hearing him say "pig", "teeth", "cheese", "duck", "hi", "bye", etc. are all exciting, too!

What's up with all the reruns on TV lately?  It feels like forever since there's been a new episode of our favorites- Community, The Office, and Modern Family.  Did the writers get Spring Fever? ;)

I would love to go away for a weekend and pull the plug.  On everything.  Phone.  Email.  TV.  Facebook.  Blogs.  Yes, I just wrote that right after talking about missing my favorite TV shows.  It's just that sometimes I feel like being 'connected' actually makes us just the opposite- disconnected.  After reading the book, "Radical", I felt like I was missing out on so much around me by being glued to the tv and computer, so I've gradually been spending more time outside.  Walking around the neighborhood.  Meeting neighbors that I hadn't yet in the three years we've lived here.  Continuing to build relationships with the neighbors we do know.  Not so that I'll know their names, but so we can get involved in their lives and truly get to know them.  But I still have so far to go.

PETA- I can not believe them.  Wow.  The irony of 'honoring' National Infertility Awareness week by giving away a free vasectomy- it's such a slap in the face.  Actually, it's more like being kicked in the stomach when you've already been knocked to the ground.  If you have no idea what I'm talking about, go here and read her post and correspondence with PETA.  And I really liked the suggestions this blogger gave.  A vasectomy?  Really?  And in honor of?  You've got to be kidding.

Easter Egg Cake by Picky Palate.
A's first foster parents are coming for their first visit in a few weeks- Good Friday, actually.  I'm really excited to see them and for them to see A.  I saw the recipe for this cake this week and I think it'll be perfect to make to have while they're here.  Doesn't that look like such a fun cake to eat?

Ok, I think this post has been random enough.  If you think about it tomorrow, say a prayer for D.  He has been studying since January for his big exam to become a licensed engineer- and the test is tomorrow.  He will be so relieved to have it over and even more relieved if he passes it!  Just pray for a 70!

1 comment:

  1. Sorry that you have to go back to work...but I am so glad that you were able to take this month to be with A. I was only able to take a week off with Mea when she came home, and that was sooo hard.

    That cake does look fun, we have made cupcakes similar to that before...Mea thinks they are super cool.

    I'll be thinking of D today. 70, 70, 70!

    ReplyDelete

Drop me a line to let me know you stopped by!