At school that is! And this banner welcomed me two weeks ago when I walked into my classroom. My students are excited, which is really sweet, while I continue to count down the days left until summer. After 10 days back at school, I've come to an earthshaking conclusion:
Being a working mom is hard. And exhausting.
I know, I know. You never saw that one coming! But I am so thankful to have A in my life and to have a job doing something that I love (most days, at least) when so many teachers in my state are losing their jobs due to budget cuts.
While D and I are at work, A has started attending daycare close to our home and my job. He has done (thankfully) so well adjusting to spending more time away from us. Each day, we get a report on what he's eaten, how long he napped, what part of the day he enjoyed, etc. They also tell us his disposition- A gets 'happy' everyday. And that's just what he is. A happy little boy.
Last week we made a trip to A's former city for a court hearing. Forgive me for speaking in code, but let's just say we thought the hearing would result in two hurdles being cleared. However, only one hurdle was cleared and it was heartbreaking to watch. The other hurdle is set to be cleared in early August. Thinking about how far away August is and how many things can change in that time has definitely made us anxious. But worrying about that will do nothing for the situation (and will only give us gray hair)- so we've both committed to enjoying each and every day we have with A and not worrying about what the future holds. Easier said than done some days, but a commitment nonetheless.
While we had a busy Easter holiday, the fact was not lost on either of us that we were celebrating our first holiday as a family of three. And celebrate it we did! We had an Easter egg hunt with D's parents Thursday night when they came to visit. A's foster grandparents visited on Good Friday while my sister and her fiance came late Friday night and spent the weekend with us. We attended our church's Good Friday service (which was amazing and truly reminded me of what the Easter season is all about- the hope we have through the sacrifice Jesus made) and the Easter Sunday service (which, again, so good!) then enjoyed a quiet Sunday afternoon playing in the pool the Easter bunny brought for A.
Thankful doesn't even begin to describe how I feel about this Easter.
How I feel about my life.

So glad he is adjusting so well in daycare. Mea just loves her sitter, just like a second grandmother, and we do too!
ReplyDeleteSorry to hear about the delay in hurdles. Sometimes this can be a process. Just have to be patient, pray, and it will all be fine. Stay on top of your workers, your attorney, and make sure you know everything that is going on with A's case. Just a few tips. Been there, done that.
Glad you had a wonderful Easter holiday!