Sunday, June 19, 2011

Happy Father's Day, D!

Three years ago this month, we embarked on this journey to become parents.  So much has happened, so many things have changed in those three years.  Enduring the news that we will never have children on our own-the traditional way, was so difficult to process, but I'm so thankful I had you by my side.  We were always a team- at appointments, adoption conferences, and finally, through 30 hours of classes last summer to get to where we are now. 

When we received the news that we were selected to be A's new foster parents, you were so excited.  We both were floored.  And as we drove the three hours to meet him the first time, we were both so nervous, even stopping at a fast food restaurant to compose ourselves before arriving at his current placement's home.  I'm so glad I have pictures to capture the larger-than-life smile plastered on your face that day.  The icing on the cake was that we were also celebrating your birthday- and it was hard for me not to remember celebrating your birthday last year, when I wanted to do anything to encourage you, cheer you up, let you know how much I appreciate you.  Would either of us ever have thought that a year later, we would be meeting our first foster placement and (hopefully) soon-to-be-adopted son?

And then, when we'd had A for two months, we receive a phone call asking if we would take his sister, and your response was, "How can we say no?"  So it was that H entered our lives, and you became an even more caring, attentive father.  This little girl has you wrapped around her finger- and I don't think there's any other place you'd rather be.  You are such a hands-on dad and I'm so thankful to have you as my partner and best friend.  Changing diapers, bathing little ones, taking A for walks when you get home and playing with him in the backyard, making bottles, rocking H to sleep, walking laps around the house to get her little eyes to finally close- the list could go on and on.  Thank you for being you and for keeping me laughing, even during the chaos.

I love you so much and am so glad your day has come.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Drop me a line to let me know you stopped by!