Monday, November 29, 2010

haiku and bullets

Three weeks till Christmas (break)
Foster shower tomorrow
Things are looking up!

  • I've been trying really hard to find contentment in the here and now. I have a bad habit of wishing days, weeks, months away. And I don't want to look back on this time and not have any lasting memories. Yes, I know my haiku really goes against what I just wrote. But a girl has to be excited about something, right?

  • I did not want to wake up this morning. I wanted to sleep the day away. Never mind those kindergarten students who are eager to talk to their friends learn. I wanted to pull the covers back over my head and sleep till my body told me to wake up, not the radio playing on our alarm. But I found myself repeating, "This is the day the Lord has made. I will rejoice and be glad in it." And I got up. After hitting the snooze button. Twice.

  • We were (almost)parents... our first placement call came a week ago for a 1 month-old and 2 1/2 year-old. While it was a heartbreaking decision to make, we had to tell them no. At this point, with no parenting experience at all, that seemed like a lot to take on. We are licensed to take sibling groups, but have really been hoping and praying that we could start out with a single child. The call came the day after my birthday while we were on our way to my parents' house to celebrate with a few of my siblings. Needless to say, after turning them down I cried off and on the rest of the way while D was silent. The placement coordinator was really sweet and reassured me that they "would get us a kiddo soon," but our decision has weighed heavily on my mind ever since.
My (not a chance!) Christmas List:


  • This new camera to document our foster parent journey

Hey, a girl can dream!

1 comment:

  1. Love the haiku. I keep telling myself there's only two more Mondays (and Tuesdays) until Christmas break. I'm definitely more ready than the kids.

    I can't imagine how hard it must have been to turn down a placement call. You are incredibly strong. I'll keep praying you get "the" call soon!

    ReplyDelete

Drop me a line to let me know you stopped by!