Two weeks ago, D's dad had open heart surgery. He's doing really well considering the major surgery he just endured, so this past Friday night we made the trip to go see him. A and H had fun with their GiGi and Poppy, Uncle D and Aunt J. We ate dinner, gave them baths, got pjs on, fed H her last bottle of the night and loaded up to come home. We've learned that getting them all ready for bed before a car trip helps so much! When we get home, we can just put them straight to bed.
This past time, though, when we were pulling into the garage, A started crying, "Mommy! Mommy!" I looked at D and said, "I'll get him. You get H." I got him out of his car seat and walked him to his room. He was still crying and screaming, "Mommy! Mommy!" so I sat down to rock him. I kept telling him, "It's okay. Mommy's here." But he just wouldn't settle down. At one point, he was crying out for me and I was responding but it was like he couldn't see me. Then his little body started shaking so I put him down on the ground in front of me so that he could see me, cradling his little body. He continued to scream and cry. At this point, D comes into the room and thinks A is being a 2 year-old and trying to avoid bedtime, but as soon as he sees the look on my face and A's little body shaking, he knew something was up. D walked over, picked him up and just like that, A quieted down, his eyes closed and he was asleep in 30 seconds.
We walked out of the room, both kinda freaked out about what just happened. Did A have an episode of night terrors? Was he sleepwalking? Whatever it was, it was not fun to watch!
Mea went through a period of time around 2-3 years old where she occasionally did this. We had full conversations with her, she would walk around, get a drink of water, etc. Scary. Should be a phase, and pass quickly.
ReplyDelete